Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cyber bullying

In middle school, on September 20th, 2010, we did a bullying workshop with Mrs. Thompson. Here is my experience with cyber bullying. In fifth grade, an incident happened when my friend, Matt (Not real name) and Cookie (Not real name) sent an inappropriate message from a teacher's account. I couldn't believe that my best friend, Matt could ever do such a thing. The news started to spread out to all of the students in fifth grade.

"There are good people and bad people in this world," from a movie called The Series of Unfortunate Events. I normally say that quote to people who were bullied in my class. Matt has been friends with me for 4 years! He would never do such a thing. Later on, the principal and the assistant principal came to the whole fifth grade and asked who would do such a thing. Matt bravely rose up from his seat. He knew that he did a terrible thing. He confidently went to the principal’s office and was told that he was banned from using panther apps for a year. Matt told the whole story to me and I felt quite sorry for him. Cookie was the criminal that was behind it! Cookie typed up the message and put Matt's name on it! From that day, I was more aware of cyber bullying from that day on...

I would be aware of cyber bullying and how that can affect people’s feelings. Cyber bullying can make people feel terrible, angry, etc. "A cyber bully may be engaged in defamation. This is when the bully causes harm to someone’s reputation by spreading false information about that person. In general, defamation that appears temporarily (as unrecorded speech or in a live broadcast) is called slander, and defamation that appears permanently (in a book or on a Web site) is called libel." - From the Civil Law. A civil law is a law that deals with rights, dignity, and freedom from injury. Many countries are aware of cyber bullying such as Canada. Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms explain about freedom of expression from cyber bullying.

Finally, I would like to recommend you some safe useful tips doing with cyber bullying. In your mail, click on "New! Priority Inbox Beta" (which is in red color). Click on learn more and you will watch a short video what "priority inbox" does. It's really useful. It makes two separate piles. Priority inbox picks the important messages that you receive. My second goal to make people feel welcomed is to don't chat to people who aren't familiar with you. What I usually do is blocking them or has a conversation with a teacher (if it is continuously). For example, my friend, Cookie asked me about romance. First, I would tell him/her to stop. Second, if it goes on, I would block him/her or tell a teacher. So these are my goals to make people at ISKL to feel safer.

(I've experienced cyber bullying before such as chain mails about death, and saying negative comments to each other.)



http://mark-lawton.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Cyber-Bully-Cyber-Bullying.jpg

Sources: http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/resources/educational/teaching_backgrounders/cyberbullying/cyberbullying_law2_h4.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment