Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Giver

Recently in humanities yellow, literature circles came back as we got our new books. The new books were The Giver and the White Mountains. I received "The Giver" which looked interesting. In the beginning, it was extremely boring but from around chapter 3, it starts getting better and better. Jonas, the main character in the book, is in a communist place where everything is weird. People can't see colors, don't even know anything such as animals, stationary,etc. His parents decide the future for him and this has been going on continuously for centuries. But Jonas, is different from everybody. He could see some colors such as red in the book. (If you are curious, read the book!!!). Anyway, the question that I chose was: 


1. Would you want your future to be decided by others ? Why or Why not?


For me, I would say no because I wouldn't get to have my own decisions, and I wouldn't even enjoy it. People need some freedom in their life so they have the right to choose what they want to be in the future.  The reason why I chose that I wouldn't get to have my own decisions is that because I don't want a future that doesn't suite me. For example, my parents want me to be a dentist/doctor but if someone changes my future, I might become something else. Another reason is that you have the right to control your future. Everyone has a dream and what they want to be. "When you relinquish the desire to control your future, you can have more happiness." a quote by Nicole Kidman, an Australian actress. 


I chose that I wouldn't even enjoy it because if for instance,if I wanted to become a tennis player (false) and if someone controls my future, later in life I might become like a pilot even thought you hate the job. You have the right to control your future and enjoy it. There aren't any benefits having a controlled future. There might be some benefits such as you don't have to find a job,etc but most likely people would want a future decided by themselves. In the Giver, I think that the Chief Elder has chosen what Jonas wanted to be..... So here are my reasons why I think that I don't wan my future to be decided by others.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blogpost for a variety of different reasons. It was funny, straightforward, simple, expressive and most of all very argumentative. I say this because you clearly expressed your thoughts on the question "1. Would you want your future to be decided by others ? Why or Why not?" leaving no gaps for the other half of the question to come in. I thought you could have improved by brainstorming more ideas on why you thought that being able to control your own future is better then having it controlled for you. You could be a little more open on the other side of the question. Believe it or not there are a few good things about having a controlled future. One more thing that you could improve upon is your spelling. Although it's nothing big in your last sentence the word want is spelled wrong. "So here are my reasons why I think that I don't wan my future to be decided by others." Overall I really enjoyed reading your blog, there are a few things you could touch up but overall it was great.

    ReplyDelete