Monday, February 27, 2012

A Poem by Sonia Weitz

Which Sonia Weitz poem did you choose?


The poem that I chose written by Sonia Weitz is "Victory". 


 How can you make a personal connection to the poem?


The main personal connection that I can make to the poem is that I also spent a happy moment with my dad like Sonia Weitz and how she danced with her father in Aushwitz, the concentration camp. Last year ago, I was happy spending time with my father playing tennis. It was fun playing against a hard opponent as he would make me run around the court by using his precise accuracy to hit from left to right, up to down,etc. By playing tennis with my dad, I can have a better relationship and a bond with my dad just like Sonia Weitz. So this is my connection which relates to Sonia Weitz's happy moment.


How did it make you feel?


The poem made me feel very awkward and strange Sonia Weitz said that she couldn't see the ugly barracks, and there was no hunger and no fear. "The ugly barracks disappeared. There was no hunger...and no fear." Sadness also was a feeling because in the poem, she said that she was condemned to die and that her father might possibly die. " Little one, let us dance, We may not have another chance... And me, a child... condemned to die." I also felt happy and joyful that Sonia Weitz could have a good time with her father before anything bad happens later and I also could tell how happy Sonia Weitz was because she couldn't see the barracks, and that she wasn't hungry and scared. 


The annotations on the "Victory" poem by Sonia Weitz included some questions, messages, symbolism,etc. In the beginning, I had a question which was "Why did Sonia Weitz call this poem the Victory?". My group members provided me the answer which was that maybe Sonia Weitz called the moment of happiness the "victory" so I was able to understand it clearly. Towards the middle section, I had questions like "Why does she say My lovely father (once big and strong)?" I asked this question to my group members but didn't get a lot of help on it. There was some messages in the poem which were shown towards the end of the poem. "There are no tools to measure love and only fools would fail to scale your victory." I think this is some kind of message but I can't seem to get the message... There weren't any figurative language like similes. I like how Sonia Weitz used a creative way to attract peoples attention at the end of the poem which shape like tiny little feathers falling. So I think that "Victory" is a good poem to read.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you got to the point. I also find it interesting how you interpreted the poem. You said it maid you feel awkward because she didn't see the ugliness of the barracks or feel suffering and pain. When I read this it really touched me. So I find it interesting how different people interoperate different things. Overall good job. I thought it was a well written blog.

    ReplyDelete